Definition of sum, meaning of sum
sum (plural sums)
- (arithmetic) A quantity obtained by addition or aggregation.
- The sum of 3 and 4 is 7.
- (arithmetic) An arithmetic computation, especially one posed to a student as an exercise (not necessarily limited to addition.)
- A quantity of money.
- A summary.
- A central idea or point.
- The utmost degree.
- (obsolete) An old English measure of corn equal to the quarter.
- 1882, The sum is also used for the quarter, and the strike for the bushel. â€” James Edwin Thorold Rogers, A History of Agriculture and Prices in England, Volume 4, p. 207.
- (quantity obtained by addition or aggregation): amount, sum total, summation, total, totality
- (arithmetic computation): calculation, computation
- (quantity of money): amount, quantity of money, sum of money
- (summary): See summary
- (central idea or point): center/centre, core, essence, gist, heart, heart and soul, inwardness, kernel, marrow, meat, nub, nitty-gritty, pith substance
- (utmost degree): See summit
- (obsolete: old English measure of corn): quarter
3 letters in word "sum": M S U.
Anagrams of sum:
Words found within sum:
mu um us
Word lists related to sum:
Words within sum, by length
Words starting with sum
Words containing sum
Words ending with sum
Words formed from sum by changing one letter
Words starting with sum by next letter
Words that start with the letter s
Words that end in the letter m