Definition of air, meaning of air
air ((uncountable and countable; plural: airs)
- (uncountable, physics, meteorology) The mixture of gases comprising the earth"s atmosphere.
- (uncountable, alchemy) One of the four basic elements.
- A feeling or sense.
- ...to give it an air of artistry and sophistication.
- (obsolete) A sense of poise, graciousness, or quality.
- 1815 "He is very plain, undoubtedly--remarkably plain:--but that is nothing compared with his entire want of gentility. I had no right to expect much, and I did not expect much; but I had no idea that he could be so very clownish, so totally without air. I had imagined him, I confess, a degree or two nearer gentility." â€” Jane Austen, Emma, Volume I, Chapter 4.
- (usually plural) Pretension; snobbishness; pretence that one is better than others.
- (music) A song, especially a solo; an aria.
- 1813 "If I," said Mr. Collins, "were so fortunate as to be able to sing, I should have great pleasure, I am sure, in obliging the company with an air; for I consider music as a very innocent diversion, and perfectly compatible with the profession of a clergyman..." â€” Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice, Chapter 18.
- (uncountable) An air conditioner or the processed air it produces.
- Could you turn on the air?
- (obsolete),(chemistry) Any specific gas
3 letters in word "air": A I R.
Anagrams of air:
Words found within air:
Word lists related to air:
Words within air, by length
Words starting with air
Words containing air
Words ending with air
Words formed from air by changing one letter
Words starting with air by next letter
Words that start with the letter a
Words that end in the letter r